Friday, April 3, 2009

Day Brighteners

So I've been in this weird funk lately. I know that everyone has them, but I usually don't, which makes it frustrating. Do you ever feel like a failure? I think part of my problem is that I feel as if I am never good enough, never quick enough, never on top of things. As long as I can remember, someone has always out done me in something. I am a people pleaser and hate knowing that I always come in second. People tell me I fail my children by working, but I fail my financial responsibilities by not. I fail at my talents by not taking the time I need to cultivate them to be the best I can be. I fail my duties at home by not constantly keeping up with my house. I fail myself by lacking discipline. I am always good, but never the best. I fail often.

It is frustrating to always strive to be perfect in the things you do, especially when we are only human and cannot attain perfection. I am thankful through it all that I do not have to the best in God's eyes. I can fail. But am I honoring Him by not being the best, or are the things that I thought I was good at not my true talent? I do know this: I will strive to be the best that I can in the situation I am in to glorify Him. I will be thankful for the day brighteners he has given me each day through my children. My children may not be the best at everything but they are mine and are precious to me. They are may day brighteners...and a reason I have not failed.

2 comments:

Happi said...

Julie,
I have been there and struggle with feelings of inadequacy all the time. I think it's just part of the human condition. We never feel good enough! This especially hit home when I became a mother. I never feel good enough.

I think you are an amazing, talented woman. I know you struggle with many of the same things I do, but don't believe the lies for a minute that you are not good enough. You are fearfully and wonderfully made! God is using you in mighty ways. : )

Just wanted to encourage you today.

Love,
Happi

Anonymous said...

So I feel like I'm just that much closer to you as a friend after reading this small entry. In short, you're awesome, and I know how you feel. I struggle just as much as you do, but you answered your own problems when you reminded yourself that God loves us - imperfections and all. If you try your best at the things you do, no one can ever tell you you're doing anything wrong.

Happy Monday!
-Rowie